Saturday 13 October 2012

Lord of the Fries - veg*n fast food

We are very fond of Lord of the Fries.  You see, I have my own 3 year old Princess of the Fries who feels right at home with a bucket of chippies.  My first experience of Lord of the Fries (aka LoTF) was at the Northland Shopping Centre store (now closed).  Then we discovered the shopfront at Flinders Street Station.  Recently, we finally visited the Brunswick Street Store.   

It is the Flinders Street Station LoTF that we have visited most frequently.  Every now and again we need food fast at the end of a busy day.  It soothes the cranky tired little girl.  The LoTF chips are proper golden, freshly fried, hot, home style chips.  I've had crispier but these taste honest (if such a word can be applied to a chip).  Not the thin anaemic shoestring fries that some other fast food outlets have made popular. 

The chips come with all sorts of sauces.  I don't like sauce on my chips so I haven't tried them.  There is a whole range of food other than chips.  It is all vegetarian with lots of vegan and gluten free options.  Burgers, hot dogs, onion rings etc.  The Unfortunately they did sausage rolls at Flinders Street Station at one stage but when I returned to try them, they had stopped making them.

I was interested when I heard that there was a new Lord of the Fries cafe on Brunswick Street.  The decor is a diner-style that is in line with the food they sell.  Sylvia and I went there a few weeks back when we had other errands in the area.

Sylvia got chips and a bottle of pink fizzy guava drink.  I had to ask for a cup for her and was given a cardboard chip cup.  It was meant to make it easier for her to drink the stuff.  She still managed to spill sticky pink drink over the table, the seat and the floor.  Then she dropped tomato sauce covered chips in the window.  I know they are kid-friendly but I can't help but think they must have breathed a sigh of relief when we left.

I ordered the mini Toronto Hot Dog.  The menu said it came with veg bacon rashers, cheese, onion, relish, ketchup and mustard.  Sounded good.  I asked for vegan cheese.  It was more expensive but at least it was melty and tasty.  I think there may have been some onion but not a large tangle of fried onion that I expected.  I am sure there was no bacon.  I might have asked if I hadn't already had an uncomfortable chat about vegan cheese (where I didn't like to say that I wasn't vegan) and Sylvia hadn't spilled too much about her.  So it seemed that the hot dog was really mostly about sauces and that is just not my thing, even when the relish is green.

Despite the hot dog not being quite right, I would love to go back and try it again.  I really want to sample the veg bacon.  Michael enjoyed the bacon on his hot dog so next time I will be sure to ask about it.  I love the chips and the service was friendly.  We will definitely be back!

Lord of The Fries
383 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
Flinders Street Station, Melbourne CBD
And other locations in Melbourne
www.lordofthefries.com.au

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2012.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the hot dog wasn't awesome but those fries sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - We keep going back for the fries :-)

      Delete
  2. Two more sleeps until Toronto for me! I hope the food is better than that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - how exciting that you are going to toronto (well all your travels are exciting!) - have a decent veg hotdog there for me

      Delete
  3. Even though the hot dog was a disappointment, it's nice you have a vegan option like that in melbourne. I really wish we could get a Lord of the Fries in the States. I recently visited melbourne and loved the Big Mark and enjoyed the chips with vegan mayo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nutriwife - it is great to have vegan options - saw your writings on your travels in Melbourne but couldn't work out how to comment - looks like you had a great time - thanks for the recommendation of the Big Mark at LoTF

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry the hot dog was a disappointment...I think their non-chip products would be what appeals to me most so I'm making a mental note not to ever try the hot dog (if I ever get to try anything!). I did smile at the idea of tomato sauce covered chips in the window :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I think part of my disappointment about the hotdog is that I am not keen on mock meat and like lots of sides to make it more palatable - the chips were really on the window sill but just seemed so mucky with the tomato sauce - argh!

      Delete
  5. I love Lord of the Fries - I wish they'd open in Sydney. You should try them with the gravy & cheese topping (SO GOOD)! I tried the "chicken" nuggets last visit to Melbourne - good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - I should try the sauces - usually like it more in the actuality than the idea of it but I am not keen on soggy chips

      Delete
  6. I think the hotdogs are disappointing. My advice is to stick to the burgers.

    For what it's worth, the sausage rolls were the La Panella sausage rolls, which I also find a bit strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danni - so it is not just me with the hotdogs at LoTF - will try the burgers and glad I didn't miss much with the sausage rolls - probably best to stick to Cindy and Michael's

      Delete
  7. I agree with Danni, the burgers are the best. I think they will give you a container of sauce for the chips if you prefer them not to be slathered with it. I usually prefer crispy chips but I don't mind having them with sauce at LOTF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - will have to try the burgers - I love the sound of all the sauces - maybe I need to get some on the side and slather them on a burger

      Delete
  8. Shame about the hot dog - however, totally fantastic name for the shop and awesome looking fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele - it is an inspired name - always gives me a smile

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)