Monday 8 October 2012

Quick cheeze sauce

I've got ahead of myself.  I was so excited by my shamburger pizza and my facon tacos that I omitted to tell you about the cheeze sauce that I used.  Perhaps I was less enthusiastic about the actual sauce because I made it for some black bean, avocado and cheeze quesadillas that were a flop.  In hindsight, I think the fillings just didn't work, rather than that the sauce was a complete failure.

I added some fried onion and spices to the black beans but they just needed more flavour.  The sauce didn't help.  I overlooked that Susan (I found the recipe at Fat Free Vegan ) added some salsa.  Without the added sweetness, my sauce was overwhelmed by the mustard.  In frustration I added more lemon juice and some liquid smoke.  Then I flung the sauce in the fridge.  The next day, when I reluctantly used the sauce, I was pleasantly surprised.

I need to revisit the quesadillas some time. They are a great quick meal.  In fact, I made them last week when E was home briefly between work and ukelele rehearsals.  I had dinner on the table in the blink of an eye and he was able to scoff them down easily before running out the door.  Now I just need to make them a bit more tasty.  Maybe I need to take Susan's advice and add a generous dollop of salsa.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Vegan Party Pies: Aussie "meat" pies for the footy
Two years ago: Nachos, Scramble and Cheeze
Three years ago: Silverbeet Soup and Marmalade Muffins
Four years ago: Sticky toffee pudding - my kind of healthy!

Quick cheeze sauce
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan
serves 4

1/2 cup water
100g silken tofu (or 1/2 cup milk)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard (less next time)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Place ingredients in a small saucepan and blend.  (If you used milk rather than silken tofu you could probably get away with a good stir rather than blending.)  Simmer for a couple of minutes until the mixture thickens.  Or (as I did) microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes, stirring after each of the first two minutes.

On the Stereo:
God Fodder: Ned's Atomic Dustbin

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2012.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts. 

8 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, I do love a great cheeze nacho style sauce, I really like nutritional yeast, even though Ed says it loks like fish food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - I am quite fond of a cheeze sauce - I like that they are usually not as heavy as dairy cheese sauces - I can see where Ed is coming from - but surely fish food doesn't taste that good :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm always intrigued by cheeze sauces especially as someone who eats regular cheese! I'm always on the lookout for one that's super tasty. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I eat regular cheese and wouldn't claim these taste exactly like it but I think it is like vegetarian 'meat' - it fills a certain need that is not for cheese but for some of the elements of it

      Delete
  3. I love trying different cheeze sauce recipes, lately I've been enjoying ones that include a bit a spice so they are more like a nacho cheeze sauce. Sometimes they can take a bit of playing around with to suit your personal taste, I enjoy mustard flavours in them every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - I think I quite like some smokiness in my cheeze sauces - no surprises there :-) I quite like mustard but can find it overwhelming - have another cheeze to share where I also found the mustard a bit much

      Delete
  4. I think your quesadillas look wonderful and I'm sure that with salsa they'd be as tasty as they look. Being me, I'd probably have mine with the salsa and without the cheeze, but I appreciate that would rather defeat the point :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - unfortunately the quesadillas were prettier than they were yummy - I might have added salsa but never have any pre-made on hand and it seemed too much trouble to make some

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)