Saturday 20 October 2012

St Kilda Farmers Market (Fitzroy Street)

St Kilda Farmers Market (Fitzroy Street) was full of kids and dogs and delicious food.  But no Dolly.  It is where we lost Sylvia's beloved little Dolly.  Unfortunately this makes it harder to speak in the glowing terms I might otherwise have used about the market.  I loved tasting all the foods, discovering red kale and lunching on scones.  However my last memory of the market is walking round and round searching for Dolly.  So instead of telling you the story of the market, I will share some choice photos.

Beetroot that was roasted and eaten in salad.

Lots of lovely bread.

Loved the coloured baby carrots.

Red kale!  I had never seen it before.  Had to ask what it was.

Soft fresh licquorice.  Wish I had bought bags and bags of it.

Scones for lunch.  Sylvia insisted on a choc chip scone.  Amazing!  

We bought a cup of ginger beer to share, sat down to drink it and found Dolly was missing.  Sadly I just couldn't appreciate the drink.  I usually love ginger beer and think this was a good one.

Here is what we bought.  Beetroot, avocado, coloured baby carrots, Pink Lady apples, licorice, red kale, sweet potato vegie fingers (vegan and they had gluten free ones available).  And flowers.  If Dolly had not fallen off the stroller we might have brought more.  All I had the heart to buy was a bunch of flowers to cheer us up.  They lit up our kitchen for a while.  Wish they were still with us.  Dolly's memory is.

Fitzroy St. St Kilda. Farmers Market
Corner of Fitzroy Street & Lakeside Drive, Mel 2P B3
4th Sunday of the month
8 am - 1 pm
Website

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2012.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts. 

13 comments:

  1. So sad to hear more of the story of Dolly's departure... Sending big hugs to you and Sylvia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astra - it was a shame that it has tainted the memory of the market

      Delete
  2. How is new dolly fitting into the household? It always takes time for newcomers to fit in and a bit of good honest down home dirt to encourage that lived in feeling that makes dolly 2 as appreciated as dolly 1. You never forget your first dolly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran - new dolly is getting a lot of attention but is not loved like old dolly - people say that it is the smell of being cuddled a lot but I think it is also that it takes time to become part of the kid's story.

      Delete
  3. Lovely buys! I hope that new Dolly is settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - new dolly is settling in and gets out and about with us a lot - but we still miss old dolly

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you posted this after the arrival of new Dolly - I think it would have been just too sad otherwise. I am glad that the day out was otherwise good, and your produce / purchases look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it was a lovely day right up until we noticed dolly was missing! I had thought that the kindness of strangers earlier in the day had boded well for us but apparently not

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - still hard to believe but unfortunately yes!

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos ... I'm with Sylvia on the scone front too, why go for any old scone when you can have a chocolate one ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele - the choc chips scones were amazing - I can't remember what I had but I think it was cheese and veg

      Delete
  7. Hope the market outing wasn't full of sad memories! I would like to go to this market one day, it's a bit further away than our usual markets so I'll have to be more organised for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)