Tuesday 17 February 2015

Banana Oat Pancakes revisited and veganised

It is Shrove Tuesday and I am hoping to be eating pancakes tonight.  Meanwhile I am sharing our favourite pancake recipe.  I wish I could share more recipes that I make as much as this one.  I actually first blogged these banana oat hotcakes back in 2011 when Sylvia was 2 years old so she has grown up with them.  (We always call them pancakes not hotcakes!)  Last year I started to making a vegan version that I am sharing today.

I was inspired to try veganising the recipe again after Vegan MoFo last year.  This challenge to blog vegan food for a month has helped me learn more about veganising foods.  I made so much vegan food we didn't have eggs in the fridge for weeks.  It was a challenge to veganise this recipe.  I tried one vegan version in 2012.  It was too soggy with bananas and flax.  Isa's vegan pancakes made me think I needed more starch.  I turned to a recipe for home made egg replacer.

However I am not vegan and if we have eggs I sometimes make these pancakes with eggs.  So I think it is useful to note that I can barely tell the difference.  The vegan ones are just slightly more fragile but still taste excellent and I am really happy with the fluffy texture.  It is interesting that the photos of the vegan ones are actually more pillowy than the eggy ones.

We often make these pancakes on weekends.  Sylvia loves them as a treat and it is a great way to use a manky banana.  In fact now Sylvia loves it when there are blackening bananas because it means pancakes.  She loves to help make the pancakes and my cunning plan is that she will soon rise on a weekend morning to serve me pancakes in bed. 

We had these pancakes on the weekend.  Drowned in maple syrup.  The lemons are ripening on the tree so we might be having more pancakes with lemon and sugar soon.  When Sylvia had a few sleepovers on the school holidays these were mandatory for breakfast.  However we did find that her cousin would not eat them because they had banana.  They are not for everyone.  But I can see us eating many more of these in the future.


I am sending these pancakes to

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Tomato kitchen sink chutney
Two years ago: NCR Coronationl Potato Salad
Three years ago: Choc almond slice, Valentine and Koorioberee
Four years ago: NCR Creamy lentil salad
Five years ago: Shrove Tuesday Blinis
Six years ago: Potato salad, freak weather and bushfires
Seven years ago: HoTM #12 Prune and Bean Casserole

Vegan Banana Oat Pancakes
Adapted from Coles Winter Magazine 2010 via Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 10-12 small pancakes

2 tbsp margarine
2 tsp golden syrup (or other sweetener)
1 banana, mashed
1 tbsp potato starch (not potato flour)
1/2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tsp chia seeds
3/4 cup to 1 cup milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
extra margarine, for frying

Melt margarine and golden syrup together (we do this in the microwave).  Stir in mashed banana, potato starch, tapioca and chia seeds.  Stir in 3/4 cup of milk.  Mix in oats, flours and baking powder.  Add a little milk to loosen it if required.  The mixture should be quite thick but I like to add an extra 2 tbsp of milk.

Heat a heavy bottomed non stick frypan over medium high heat.  When warm, reduce heat to medium.  Take about 1/2 to 1 tsp of margarine and swirl over the pan (I usually use the spoon to swirl it around the pan).  Drop heaped dessertspoons of mixture onto the frypan with about an inch between them if possible.  Fry for a minute or so until a few small bubbles appear.  Flip over (bottom should be golden brown) and then fry about another minute until golden brown on the underside.

Eat warm.  We liked to serve ours with maple syrup or lemon and sugar or stewed fruit and yoghurt.  The pancakes can also be eaten later in the day at room temperature or frozen to eat later.

On the stereo:
24 Hour Party People soundtrack

27 comments:

  1. I can't believe it already Shrove Tuesday, Johanna. This year is flying by and yet another holiday season is upon us.

    I'm so glad you "revisited" these pancakes. I'd love to try them with or without eggs. I'm sure they are tasty. I think it's adorable that Sylvia grew up with them, so sweet:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - the year has flown indeed - hard to believe we are almost into autumn here - I think it is a nice recipe for sylvia to grow up with

      Delete
  2. Oooh these sounds super delicious!I look forward to seeing them over at Healthy Vegan Friday. Just in time for Pancake day tomorrow =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious. I made oat pancakes for the first time at the weekend. Perfect breakfast fodder. These look delicious and gluten free too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I liked the look of your oat pancakes too

      Delete
  4. I've found vegan pancakes to be more fragile too when cooking them and that I need a good non stick pan for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I really like my scanpan for pancakes - haven't used a cheap nonstick frypan for a while and not sure how these would go - though I also think spreading a little butter between each batch helps too

      Delete
  5. Over here, people call doughnuts pancakes and they eat tons of them for carnival season. I think I'll go with yours instead because they look just so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - eating lots of doughnuts sounds like fun

      Delete
  6. What beautiful pancakes. They are so uniformly shaped! These are more complex than the vegan pancakes I've made, but I suspect it pays off as they look amazingly fluffy. I like your plan for pancakes in bed one day too...it will be a lovely day when Sylvia gets there, I'm sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - glad they look uniformly shaped - many of mine are not - they look like squiggly shaped maps of european countries :-) Pancakes in bed would be fun - though I am not sure I really want them there very often

      Delete
  7. Lately I've found that vegan pancakes are THE FLUFFIEST. These look crazy good! And just in time for Fat Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - interesting that you find them quite fluffy - after I wrote the post I remembered I added a little extra baking powder to compensate for the lack of rise without eggs! but I think it might help to add baking powder with texture too

      Delete
  8. These look delicious! I can't believe they're made without eggs.

    I know a few people with egg allergies so I'll be recommending this recipe.

    Thanks for joining in with #FoodYearLinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte - it took me a while to find eggless pancakes that worked for me but I feel I am doing ok with them now

      Delete
  9. I completely forgot to participate in Shrove Tuesday (how sinful). I do love the height of your pancakes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - sounds like you have had other things on your mind - am sure you will be forgiven :-)

      Delete
  10. Yummy vegan recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it amazing how children always love making pancakes? Particularly pancakes! I left my nine year old guarding and turning them the other day whilst I supervised from the other side of the kitchen! The only bit she wasn't happy doing was pouring and swirling the batter (because the pan was so hot).
    Well done for making these vegan. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - perhaps kids like it that pancakes are so immediate compared to cakes that need to bake in the oven. Your 9 year old sounds like she is almost ready to make you breakfast in bed :-)

      Delete
  12. These look so lovely - like a hybrid of those slightly too eggy banana pancakes that are all the rage and 'normal' ones, or more pikelet-y pancakes (which I prefer). I am looking forward to trying these (though I may chuck in an egg!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - they look like pikelets but taste more like pancakes - though we do love to eat them at room temperature like pikelets. And I recommend the egg version as much as the vegan version - I make both depending on what needs to be used or is available

      Delete
  13. I completely forgot pancake day this year - more fool me! I like a pancake that does double duty of having fruit in it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I have tried a few pancakes with fruit or veg and these are my favourite

      Delete
  14. Happy Belated Pancake Day! These veganized pancakes look super tasty! You are making my belly rumble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rika - hope you had a good pancake day

      Delete
  15. I thought it would have been impossible to make pancakes without eggs, yet these look absolutely delicious. Got to give them a try! Thanks for linking up with the Family Foodies pancake party :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)