Sunday 22 March 2015

Lime and white chocolate ice cream

Last week was a funny kind of week.  Sylvia's school had a pupil-free day and she then had a couple of sick days.  I had to cancel her swimming lesson and an appointment.  Not everything was pushed to the side.  We made ice cream.  Really good lime and white chocolate ice cream.

Regular readers might remember that my siblings and I are a bit 'meh' about ice cream because it was served on nights when my mum didn't bake desserts when we were kids.  So when I had condensed milk, white chocolate chips and ice cream cones leftover from Sylvia's birthday party, I was very tempted to make the Kitchen Maid's lime and white chocolate slice.  I even bought the limes.

We had lots of ice cream cones after I initially bought the wrong sort for the castle cake.  I bought a tub of caramel and honeycomb ice cream but there were still many cones left.  E said we needed to buy another tub of ice cream to use up the ice cream cones.  It seemed a good idea just to make ice cream and get those cones out of our life!

I used the no churn condensed milk and cream method of making ice cream.  Sylvia loves ice cream so much that we bought her a little single serve ice cream maker at Christmas.  You freeze the base and then squeeze cold liquid to make instant ice cream. 

I am not sure I am thrilled with it.  It takes up a lot of room in the freezer for not much return.  Perhaps we don't use it well or perhaps my lack of enthusiasm for ice cream has prevented me embracing it.

I am more enthusiastic about my lemon and lime trees that are heavy with fruit right now.  It seems like they will be ripe any day now.  Until then we are still buying lemons and limes.  As I did for this ice cream.  Then I used a lime that had fallen off the tree.  I found it rather sour but I find most lemons and limes rather sour.  Perhaps the limes are closer to being ripe than I thought.

The ice cream was creamy but I really liked how the lime took the edge off the sweetness.  It was more prominent than the white chocolate.  We all loved it.  However I found that it was hard to get the right moment to scoop it out.  It seemed either too hard to scoop in a nice round ball or too soft and mushy to hold its shape.  I think I preferred the latter.  One thing is for sure.  It has made me look forward to our limes coming off the tree and into kitchen.

More ice cream recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Rhubarb and white chocolate ice cream
Strawberry ice cream with agar agar 
Vegan chocolate ice cream 
Violet crumble ice cream 

More ice cream recipes from elsewhere:
Cookies'n'malted cream ice cream - Where's the Beef?
Mint choc chip cookie dough ice cream - Elizabeth's Kitchen
Strawberry ice cream - Free People
Toasted coconut ice cream - Ice Cream by Coco Cake

Lime and white chocolate ice cream
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe

1 cup white chocolate chips
juice of 2 1/2 limes
zest of 2 limes
3/4 cup condensed milk
300ml cream (I used 51%)

Melt 3/4 cup of white choc chips.  Gradually add the condensed milk into the melted chocolate, stirring all the while so it remains smooth.  Stir in the lime juice and zest.  Add the cream and blend with electric beaters until creamy (but not buttery - I do this on a low speed so I don't overbeat suddenly).  Gently stir in remaining 1/4 cup of white choc chips.  Spoon into a tub with lid.  Freeze until firm.

On the Stereo:
Father Abraham in Smurfland

17 comments:

  1. Limes seem to be the flavor of the day... maybe the rebound from the Green of St.Patrick's day. I love all citrus flavors so this sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - I had thought of adding a drop of green colouring and on St Pat's Day had been thinking of making the slice with some green colouring in it - but half my plans fall by the wayside :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the idea, that must be so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I noticed about this ice cream was the gorgeous little flecks of green. Beautiful! I'll definitely be trying this out when the weather gets warmer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - the flecks of green made the ice cream quite attractive - made me glad I didn't go ahead with my idea to add a little green food dye. Hope you are enjoying some warmer weather soon.

      Delete
  4. When I worked in a food van, we used to dip the scoop in hot water before scooping really cold or hard icecream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate - I didn't think of that but should have tried it - at least I didn't break my ice cream scoop as I did with another hard ice cream I made :-)

      Delete
  5. what a great flavour combo! I bought myself an icecream maker on sale last year without realising there's the big basin you have to freeze first! My freezer is always full of stuff so it will require some crafty rearrangement. I wanted to make some sweet potato icecream, as I currently only do the frozen banana etc nicecreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - I have resisted buying ice cream makers mainly because of the bowl to be put in the freezer - we never have much room. Sweet potato ice cream sounds interesting.

      Delete
  6. Lime is becoming my new favourite citrus fruit. Love the sound of this. The lime must help balance out the sweetness of the white choc. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - lime is high on my list of favourite citrus fruits - I think it still feels more novel than lemon and orange which were so common in my childhood but I also love the flavour and the colour!

      Delete
  7. Your lemon and lime trees look excellent! They really are cause for excitement. I don't get super excited about ice cream on account of not being meant to have it as a child (lactose intolerant) and of course these days most varieties having dairy, but I do enjoy dairy free mixes when I get them and I love the sound of these flavours. Good use for the surplus cones, that is for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I am getting quite impatient with the lemons that are mostly yellow with just a little green underneath - sylvia is waiting for lemonade! We have almost got through the cones in their large boxes that take up lots of room :-)

      Delete
  8. How lovely to have lemon and lime trees. Limes are so expensive! I love the look of your ice cream and the combination of flavours sounds amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I was really surprised when the lime tree started producing - it was so little when we got it I expected to be lucky to get any fruit but it is doing well now (lots of water and plant food helps). Strangely I expect less of the the lime than the lemons but the lime tree has been doing better lately.

      Delete
  9. Your icecream looks delish - lime is such a great flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm.... I LOVE this! The combo of lime and white chocolate sounds divine.
    And those lemon and lime trees? i am green with envy! How lucky are you?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)